Monday, August 14, 2017

The Hackenberger Experiment

August already! It's been a great summer so far and lots done here.
First, I got my bed strips from Mar-K and the pickup bed came together.
Getting started - after much welding and painting.


And a bedside goes on.

Just about done. Pretty happy with my reconstructed tailgate!

Fiberglass fenders look way too good for this truck.


Patina for sure. Maybe a coat of clear to keep it all together is in its near future.
 Truck is done - for now, and I am driving it everywhere. I even took it up to one of the Hemmings Cruise Ins which was fun, but I think they favor the shinier cars.

While I was doing all this useful stuff I became aware of the awesome Ron Hackenberger auction out in Ohio.  Auction Flyer
He auctioned off over 700 cars and I followed along online. The news coverage talked about his love of Studebakers, but he collected all kinds of interesting projects. Any auction with Citroens, Crosleys and a Tatra mixed in is going to be fun.
A '48 Frazer and a '53 Plymouth called out to me and the bidding was not very energetic at the end of Day 1, so they were mine. I even found someone on CL with a 2 car trailer who was willing to pick them up and bring them to me (thanks Adam!).

53 Plymouth
the luxurious Cranbrook interior

48 Frazer
 They obviously need complete overhauls, but hardly any rust on either of them. Ron did a good job building his collection.

Setting aside all other projects and priorities I have decided that the Frazer must run again. The engine is not stuck, but at some point the oil pan was taken off and a rod cap was removed. Using my Sherlock level skills I have deduced that this Continental 226 (aka Kaiser Supersonic, aka Jeep Super Hurricane) needs my help. I usually only work with Mopar 218's and 230's, but a flathead six is a flathead six, right? We will see. Added bonus is reading up on these really interesting cars on the Kaiser Frazer Owners Club site.
Want a ride? Let's go!

...and under the seat. 

Freddie patiently waits while Olive enjoys her Starbucks

Enjoy the rest of August - I'm pretty sure I will!


No comments:

Post a Comment